Office Cleaning – 5 Tips to Slow the Spread of Flu
May 7, 2017 By Willem Flach
This post provides 5 practical tips for office cleaners and office cleaning companies to help stem the spread of flu in office environments.
1. Know the difference between cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitising
Cleaning works by using soap (or detergent) and water to physically remove germs from surfaces. This process lowers the number of germs on a surface and therefore lowers the risk of spreading infection.
Disinfecting works by using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces or objects. By killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.
Sanitising lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects by either cleaning or disinfecting surfaces or objects to lower the risk of spreading infection.
2. Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that are touched often
It's necessary to sanitise surfaces and objects daily that are touched often, such as desks, countertops, doorknobs, computer keyboards, hands-on learning items, taps, and phones.
3. Routine office cleaning and disinfecting
Most studies have shown that the flu virus can live and potentially infect a person for up to 48 hours after being deposited on a surface.
Flu viruses are relatively fragile, so standard cleaning and disinfecting practices are sufficient to remove or kill them.
4. Clean and disinfect your office correctly
Always follow label directions on cleaning products and disinfectants.
If a surface is not visibly dirty, you can clean it with an EPA-registered product that both cleans (removes germs) and disinfects (kills germs) instead. Be sure to read the label directions carefully, as there may be a separate procedure for using the product as a cleaner or as a disinfectant.
Disinfection usually requires the product to remain on the surface for a certain period of time (e.g., letting it stand for 3 to 5 minutes).
Use disinfecting wipes on electronic items that are touched often, such as phones and computers. Pay close attention to the directions for using disinfecting wipes. It may be necessary to use more than one wipe to keep the surface wet for the stated length of contact time.
Ensure that any electronic equipment you are cleaning can withstand the use of liquids for cleaning products.
5. Handle office waste properly
Here are a number of tips for handling waste when office cleaning:
- Wear gloves when handling waste.
- Place no-touch waste baskets where they are easy to use.
- Throw disposable cleaning items in the trash immediately after use.
- Avoid touching used tissues and other waste when emptying waste baskets.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after emptying rubbish bins.
TOP 4 REASONS TO CHANGE CLEANERS
- They are not delivering what they promised.
- I don’t know if I can trust the onsite cleaners.
- The cleaners aren't spending enough time at our premises.
- The agreed job specs are not being done.
HOW TECHNOLOGY IS CHANGING CLEANING
Bluetooth technology allows you complete control & transparency over the cleaning process. Our cleaners are tracked and are therefore accountable for the quality of their work. We use Bluetooth technology and 'beacons' to ensure they spend the correct amount of time cleaning your premises.
BENEFITS OF BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY
- Confirmation that cleaner is spending correct time cleaning.
- Confirmation that cleaner is completing specified cleaning tasks.
- Transparent process enables feedback, improvement, and value for money.